- Symposium 1. Diabetes control.
- Symposium 2. Healing in diabetes.
- Symposium 3. Therapies for diabetic foot ulcers.
- Symposium 4. Health programs in diabetes.
- Prof. David W. Armstrong, Professor of Surgery and Director, Southern Arizona Limb Salvage Alliance (SALSA) at the University of Arizona, United States.
- Dr. Jorge Berlanga Acosta, Head of the Department of Cytoprotection and Healing of the Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (CIGB), Cuba Guest Researcher at the University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada. Guest researcher at the Imperial Foundation for Cancer Research, London, United Kingdom.
- Dr. I. Kelman Cohen. Professor and President of the Emeritus Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Medical College of Virginia. Founder of the Wound Healing Society, United States.
- Dr. Aristidis Veves. U.S. MD, PhD. Research Director for Foot Center and Microcirculation Lab at Joslin-Beth Israel Deaconess. Assistant Professor of Surgery at Harvard Medical School.
- Dr. Benjamin A. Lipsky. U.S. MD, FACP, FIDSA, FRCP, FRCPS (Glasg) Professor Emeritus of Medicine, Associate Member of the University of Washington, Associate Professor, Green Templeton College, Visiting Professor at the University of Oxford.
- Dr. Aziz Ghahary, Professor. Director of BC Professional, Firefighters Research Group and Healing of Firefighters, Department of Surgery / Plastic Surgery.
- Prof. Timothy Lyons. United Kingdom. Faculty of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences-Clinical Professor. Center of Vision and Vascular Sciences. Queen University, Belfast, United Kingdom.
- Dr. Luigi Uccioli. Italy Professor in Diabetes Univ. Roma Tor Vergata. Rome Italy. President of the Diabetic Foot Ulcer Study Group for the Italian Diabetes Society and Treasurer of the Diabetic Foot Study Group for the European Association for Diabetes Studies (EASD).
- Dr. Mark A. Atkinson, United States. Doctor. Director of the UF Diabetes Institute. Executive Director, Network for Donors of Pancreatic Organs with Diabetes (nPOD). Chairman of the JDRF Research Advisory Committee. University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, United States.
- Dr. Lawrence B. Harkless. U.S. DPM, FACFAS, MAPWCA. Founding Dean and Professor of Medicine and Podiatric Surgery at the School of Podiatric Medicine of the University of Western Health Sciences, Pomona, California, United States.
- Dr. Dirk Hofmann. U.S. MD, MA. Associate Professor Diabetes Obesity Metabolism and immunology Icahn School of Medicine Institutes in Mount Sinai, New York. Affiliate / Visiting Professor. University of Colorado Denver, Scripps Research Institute.
- Dr. Matthias von Herrath. U.S. Maryland. Head of the Novo Nordisk Type 1 Diabetes Research and Development Center in Seattle and professor at the La Jolla Institute of Allergy and Immunology in California.
- Dr. Christoph Buettner. U.S. MD, PhD. Professor at the Icahn School of Medicine in Mount Sinai, United States. Associate Director of Type 2 Diabetes at the Institute of Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism of Sinai.
- Dr. Balduino Tschiedel. Brazil Maryland. Director of the Institute for Children with Diabetes, Brazil.
- Dr. Rupangi C. Vasavada. U.S. Doctor. Associate Professor of Medicine, Icahn School of Medicine in Mount Sinai, New York, New York, United States.¡
- Dr. Susan K. Fried. U.S. Doctor. Columbia University, NY.
- Dr. Donald K. Scott U.S. Doctorate, Professor. Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
- Dr. Luis Sarmiento Pérez. Sweden. Doctor. Research associate. Cellular Autoimmunity Unit, Clinical Research Center, Lund University, Sweden.+
- Dr. José Fernández Montequín. Cuba. Dr. in Medicine and Researcher National Institute of Angiology and Vascular Surgery Havana, Cuba. Professor at the University of Medicine of Havana. Visiting medical professor at Univ. John F. Kennedy, Argentina; and Technical University of Quito, Ecuador.
- Dr. Verena L. Muzio González. Cuba. Doctor. Director of the Clinical Research Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology.
- Dr. Ileydis Iglesias Marichal. Cuba. Maryland. Professor and researcher. Director of the National Institute of Endocrinology, Havana, Cuba.
- Prof. Eduardo Cabrera-Rode. Cuba. Doctor. Professor of the National Institute of Endocrinology University of Medical Sciences of Havana, Faculty Manuel Fajardo. Head of the Department of Immunology of the National Institute of Endocrinology.+
- Prof. Manuel Emiliano Licea Puig. Cuba. Vice President of the Cuban Endocrinology Society. Havana Cuba. Principal investigator, National Institute of Endocrinology.
- Dr. Manuel Raices. Cuba. Doctor. Researcher and business executive at the Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology.
- Dr. Yssel Mendoza Mari. Cuba. Doctor. Specialist in Molecular Biology of Diabetes at the Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology.
The congress was attended by 40 world leaders in comprehensive diabetes care, including the Minister of Health of India and the Undersecretary of Health of the United States. During the 3 days of the congress, 16 plenary conferences, 50 oral presentations and 120 posters were given to more than 150 delegates from 35 countries. Among the topics discussed were diabetes, its prevention, metabolic control and treatment of complications, molecular biology of wound healing processes, advances in the treatment of diabetic foot ulcers and the implementation of targeted health programs to the integral care of the diabetic patient.