- Symposium 1. Diabetes Control.
- Symposium 2. Healing in diabetes.
- Symposium 3. Therapies for the UPD.
- Symposium 4. Health programs in diabetes.
Total of participants: 550
- Prof. David W. Armstrong. USES. MD, PhD. Professor of Surgery and Director, Southern Arizona Limb Salvage Alliance (SALSA) at the University of Arizona.
- Jorge Berlanga Acosta. CUBA. PhD. Head of Cytoprotection and healing department at the Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (CIGB). Guest Researcher at the Univ. Of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada. Guest Researcher at the Imperial Foundation for Cancer Research, London, UK.
- Dr. I. Kelman Cohen. USES. Hon. PhD. Professor and Chairman Emeritus Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Medical College of Virginia. Founder of the Wound Healing Society.
- Dr. Aristidis Veves. USES. MD., PhD. Research Director for Foot Center and the Microcirculation Lab at Joslin-Beth Israel Deaconess. Assistant Professor of surgery at Harvard Medical School.
- Dr. Benjamin A. Lipsky. USES. MD, FACP, FIDSA, FRCP, FRCPS (Glasg) Emeritus Professor of Medicine, University of Washington Associate Fellow, Teaching Associate, Green Templeton College, University of Oxford Visiting Professor (Medicine).
- Dr. Aziz Ghahary GLEN. Ph.D, Professor. Director of BC Professional, Firefighters’ Burn and Wound Healing Research Group, Department of Surgery / Plastic Surgery.
- Prof. Timothy Lyons. UK School of Medicine, Dentistry and Biomedical Sciences-Clinical Professor. Center for Vision and Vascular Science. Queen University, Belfast, United Kingdom.
- Dr. Luigi Uccioli. ITALY Professor in Diabetes Univ. Rome Tor Vergata. Rome, Italy. Chairman of the Study Group on Diabetic Foot Ulcer for the Italian Society of Diabetes and Treasurer of the Diabetic Foot Study Group for the European Association for the Studies on Diabetes (EASD).
- Mark A. Atkinson, USA. PhD. Director, UF Diabetes Institute. Executive Director, Network for Pancreatic Organ Donor with Diabetes (nPOD). Chair, JDRF Research Advisory Committee. University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, USA.
- Lawrence B. Harkless. USES. DPM, FACFAS, MAPWCA. Founding Dean and Professor of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery at the College of Podiatric Medicine, Western University of Health Sciences, Pomona, California, USA.
- Dirk Hofmann. USES. MD, MA. Associate Professor Diabetes Obesity Metabolism & Immunology Institutes Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York. Affiliate / Visiting Professor. University of Colorado Denver The Scripps Research Institute.
- Matthias von Herrath. USES. MD. Head of the Novo Nordisk Type 1 Diabetes Research and Development Center in Seattle and a Professor at the La Jolla Institute for Allergy and Immunology in California.
- Christoph Buettner. USES. MD, PhD. Professor at Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, USA. Associate Director of Type 2 Diabetes at the Diabetes, Obesity and Metabolism Institute at Sinai.
- Dr. Balduino Tschiedel. BRAZIL. MD. Director of the Institute for Children with Diabetes, Brazil.
- Dr. Rupangi C. Vasavada. USES. PhD. Associate Professor of Medicine, Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, New York, New York, USA.
- Susan K. Fried. USES. PhD. Columbia University, NY.
- Donald K. Scott. USES. PhD, Professor. Icahn School of Medicine At Mount Sinai
- Luis Sarmiento Pérez.SWEDEN. PhD. Associate Researcher. Cellular Autoimmunity Unit, Clinical Research Center, Lund University, Sweden.
- Dr. José Fernández Montequín. CUBA. Dr. in Medicine and Researcher National Institute of Angiology and Vascular Surgery Havana, Cuba. Professor of the Medical University of Havana. Invited Medical Professor at Univ. John F. Kennedy, Argentina; and Technical University of Quito, Ecuador.
- Dr. Verena L. Muzio González. CUBA. PhD. Director of Clinical Research Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology.
- Dr. Ileydis Iglesias Marichal. CUBA. MD. Professor and Researcher. Director of the National Institute of Endocrinology, Havana, Cuba.
- Prof. Eduardo Cabrera-Rode. CUBA. PhD. Professor of the National Institute of Endocrinology University of Medical Science of Havana, Manuel Fajardo Faculty. Head of Immunology Department of the National Institute of Endocrinology.
- Prof. Manuel Emiliano Licea Puig. Cuba. Vicepresident of the Cuban Society of Endocrinology. Havana Cuba. Senior Researcher, National Endocrinology Institute.
- Dr. Manuel Raices. CUBA. PhD. Researcher and business executive at the Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology.
- Dr. Yssel Mendoza Mari. CUBA. PhD. Epecialist in the Molecular Biology of Diabetes at the Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology.
The meeting was attended by 40 world leaders in the comprehensive management of diabetes, including the Minister of Health of India and the sub secretary of health of the United States. During the 3 days of the congress, 16 plenary lectures, 50 oral presentations and 120 posters were given to more than 150 delegates from 35 countries. Among the topics discussed were diabetes, its prevention, metabolic control and the management of complications, the molecular biology of wound healing processes, the state of the art in the management of diabetic foot ulcers and the implementation of programs of health aimed at the comprehensive care of the diabetic.