- Symposium 1. Prevention, metabolic control and management of diabetes. Organizer: Dra Ileydis Iglesias. Cuba.
- Symposium 2. Molecular Biology of the processes of wound healing in the diabetic patient. Organizer: Dr. Jorge Berlanga. Cuba
- Symposium 3. State of the art in the therapeutic and clinical management of diabetic foot ulcers. Organizer: Dr. José Fernández Montequín.
- Symposium 4. Implementation of health programs for the comprehensive care of diabetic patients. Organizer: Dr. Julio Baldomero.
- Dr. Álvaro Rico, Colombia Medical Endocrinologist Director FINDEMOS, Former President FDC & FCD, Colombia.
- Dr. Ahmet Cinar YASTI, M.D. Prof. of surgery and intensive care. Head of the Burns unit of Ankara, chronic ulcer care unit builder in Corum, Chairman of the Council for the treatment of burns of the Turkish Health Minister, Chairman of the scientific council for the treatment of chronic ulcers of the Ministry of Health from Turkey.
- Dr. Aristidis Veves, USA Director of Research. Microcirculation Laboratory. Joslin-Beth Deaconess Center for the Diabetic Foot. Professor, Harvard Medical School. Boston, MA, 02215, USA.
- Dr. Alberto Muñoz. Vascular Surgeon University Hospital Fundación Santa Fe de Bogotá, Bogotá, Colombia.
- Dr. Bálent Ertugrul. Vascular Surgeon, Istanbul. You have Biotec. Turkey.
- Dr. Georges Ha Van. MD. Vascular Surgeon at the Pitié-Salpêtrière Hospital. Paris France.
- Dr. David Armstrong, DPM, MD, PhD Professor of Surgery and Director of the Alliance for Limb Rescue of Southern Arizona. Professor at the College of Medicine of the Univ. Of Southern Arizona. USA.
- Dr. Elof Eriksson, MD Head of Medical Services, Division of Plastic Surgery, Brigham and Women’s Hospital 75 Francis Street Boston, MA 02115 USA.
- Dr. Edwin Jiménez Sancho President SACA Region International Diabetes Federation San José, Costa Rica.
- Dr. Gregory Schultz, PhD. Professor Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Injury Research Institute, University of Florida 1600 South West Archer Road Room M337F Gainesville, Florida, USA.
- Dr. Jorge E. Door Chief of the Diabetic Foot Unit. C.H.DR.A.A.M. CSS Panama 20. Panama.
- Dr. Kelman Cohen, Professor Emeritus and Member of the Society of Plastic Surgery, Commonwealth University of Richmond, Virginia, USA.
- Dr. Klas Winell. MD. Member of the Finnish Diabetes Society. Finland.
- Dr. Luigi Uccioli, Endocrinologist. University of Rome Tor Vergata, Rome, Italy.
- Dr. Mabel Carria Vascular Surgeon of Dr. Alberto D. Maggio Municipal Hospital of Malvinas Argentinas, Buenos Aires, Argentina.
- Dr. Michael Hirst, President of the International Diabetes Federation (IDF). United Kingdom.
- Dr. Paolo Pozzilli, Head of the Encocrinology and Diabetes Unit of the Biomedical Field of the University of Rome. Italy.
- Dr. Pavel Weber, PhD. Department of Internal Medicine, Geriatrics and Medical Practice of Masaryk University Hospital, Jihlavský 20 625 00 Brno, Czech Republic.
- Dr. Raffaella Buzzetti, Department of Clinical Science, University of Rome. Sapienza, Viale del Policlínico 155, 00161 Rome, Italy.
- Dr. Selcuk Baktiroglu, University of Istanbul. Faculty of Medicine of the University of Istanbul. General and Peripheral Vascular Surgeon. Istanbul, Turkey.
- Dr. Wenche Borgnakke, DDS MPH PhD Department of Periodontology and Oral Medicine, Medical University of Michigan. School of Dentistry. Rm # G049 1011 North University Avenue Ann Arbor MI 48109-1078, USA.
- Dr. Moshe Kulikovsky W. Medical consultant in the management of wounds and diabetic foot. Expert in Diving Medicine and hyperbaric chamber. Mor St. Haifa Hospital, Israel.
- Dr. Josep Marinel.lo Roura. Vascular Surgeon, Mataró Hospital, Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain.
- Dr. José Ramón March. Vascular Surgeon. University Hospital GETAFE, Madrid, Spain.
- Dr. Semih Baghaki Vascular Surgeon, Istanbul, Has Biotec, Turkey.
- Dr. Fermín Martínez. Vascular Surgeon. Director of the San Elian Clinic. Diabetic Foot. Veracruz, Mexico.
- Dr. Jaime A. Bruges R, Specialized in Diabetes Director Clinical Research Center MEDICUS Foundation Casa de la Diabetes Representative for Colombia of the Latin American Society of Atherosclerosis SOLAT President Colombian Diabetological Federation – FDC – and Colombian Diabetes Foundation – FCD. Professor Medical Department Medical School of the University of Cartagena, Colombia.
This edition of the congress allowed extending the knowledge of the potential of Heberprot-P even more, being practically the only effective therapeutic alternative in reducing the risk of amputation. It was also an opportunity for Cuba to publicize the main achievements of the national diabetes control program; among them: the 3 consecutive years with reduced direct mortality from diabetes; that 84% of Cuban diabetics live today with a life expectancy similar to that of non-diabetic people; and that there was a 71% reduction in the relative risk of amputation due to diabetic foot ulcer in Cuba.